April 28, 2010

Planned Coincidences on the Journey From Employment to Entrepreneurship

I was so honored to be a guest panelist at the Emerging Women in Business Conference last week at the University of Rhode Island. The panel topic was Employment to Entrepreneurship: Focus on Your Courage, Not Your Fears.

For those of you who missed it, I shared how some "planned coincidences" helped me make the transition from a job I did not enjoy to a business owner, doing work I am truly passionate about. So as a special offering for those of you with entrepreneurial dreams, I hope these tips will support and inspire you:

* While still at the job I disliked, I began living into my desired future. What I mean by this is... I shifted my attention away from all of what I did not like about my situation, and began taking action that aligned with what I desired.

* A question to consider: "If you knew for certain that in 6 months, 1 year, or 2 years, that your entrepreneurial dream was going to happen, what would you be doing right now to prepare?"

Some of my "planned coincidences" included:

* I anticipated and saw the opportunity of potential lay-off.

* I made intentional efforts to bring my expenses way down as an act of self-care. This minimized stress about having to make money immediately.

* While still at my job, I took coach training courses at night and I began coaching several pro-bono clients to gain experience and referrals.

Did you know? I recently learned that the Latin root of the word "vocation" is "voc" which means "to call". So, a vocation is a calling! Be sure that the path you choose lights you up inside.

And, last but not least, as long as you embark on new experiences and challenge yourself to realize your potential, fear is inevitable. So, rather than trying to eliminate fear, focus on increasing your courage, and be sure to surround yourself with people who believe in you.

"If your dream wasn't already real inside you, you couldn't even dream it."
Gloria Steinem

Joy to you,

Tara Sage Steeves
Founder & President
www.CreateYourLifeInc.com

No comments: